top of Building B with blue sky and clouds in background

6 Tips for Homeschooling Children

April 19, 2020

FacebooktwittermailFacebooktwittermail

I have been a teacher for roughly three years. I feel that each year I have had the privilege of teaching our future generation, I’ve grown more as a teacher and feel more pride in my profession. My message today is for all of the parents who have suddenly become teachers to their children for the rest of the school year. I know what is going on in the world is new, and having to teach your child, or multiple children, at home is daunting.

I am here to tell you IT’S OKAY! Teachers always seem to have it together, but guess what, some days we don’t. It’s okay to push an assignment to the next day if your child needs more assistance with a different subject. It’s okay to see them struggle and then feel a sigh of relief when they get it.

Here are a few things that can help new homeschooling parents:

1. Breathe. You don’t have to be perfect. Just be there for them.
  2. Don’t rush through the work and say “okay, done!” Talk with your child about what they are doing and why they are doing it. It helps them retain information.
  3. Be excited about the work. Yes, it is a lot, but realize this is a new norm for your child, too. Make it fun for them to learn in their PJs!
  4. Take breaks. At school, my classroom runs on Brain Breaks. We use Kidz Bop song dances, GoNoodles and directed drawings on YouTube to relax our minds before working again. Schedule regular Brain Breaks with your children throughout the day.
  5. RECESS! Yes, let your kid have recess. Play out in the yard, paint on the sidewalk with water, do science experiments, chalk, bubbles, anything to let them be a kid.
  6. Lastly, remember they are still kids. Enjoy every moment with them.

Please know that we teachers are missing our students more than you know. We would rather be with them than behind a computer screen. We are here if you need us.